Forum / If I post something here, will I be able to submit it as a "previously unpublished" poem, flash, or story?

• Panama_hat.thumb
    Nonnie Augustine
    Nov 07, 05:21pm

I read a lot of Forum topics, but not all of them, so if you have known the definitive answer (if there is a definitive answer) for years, please be patient, and answer my humble question anyway.

• 62698557287.thumb
    Matthew Robinson
    Nov 07, 05:47pm

Depends on the submission guidelines of the journals you're considering. Many journals try to make a point to say if they count "personal blogs" (etc.) as published. If they count a personal blog as publication, then you can be sure this counts, as well.

Some journals will also make a point to say that they DON'T count personal blogs (etc.) as publication. Some don't say either way; they'll just say, "No previously unpublished work" and kind of leave the definition of "published" up to you.

Sometimes writers will post work here they intend to submit under different titles, or they change their name to evade an editor Googling to see if the submission has been posted elsewhere. However, several lit mag editors are/were members of this community as well; which means they might have already seen the piece here--which, in the case of not accepting previously published work, means an automatic rejection.

BUT! Not always. My prose poem "How We Made Gravity About Us" was originally published here, and an editor for The Lascaux Review (a very good journal run by very good people) read it here and asked to publish it on their site, which, of course, I agreed to immediately!

I guess my point is, there's enough journals out there if you look hard enough that won't give a damn if the story/poem/essay appeared here first, just gotta put the market research time in.

Hope this helps!

• Panama_hat.thumb
    Nonnie Augustine
    Nov 07, 06:48pm

You did help, Matt. Thank you. As you mentioned, it's the journals who say "previously unpublished" without any qualifiers that have confused me. I'll consider Fictionaut pieces in the same category as things I post on my blog, I guess. I just had a similar experience to the one you had with The Lascaux Review. Beate Sigriddaughter (I love that name) asked me for a flash piece I posted here for The Glass Woman prize competition and it made the finals. Happy, happy. Nonnie

• Jimharrington.thumb
    Jim Harrington
    Nov 07, 07:17pm

I asked Joani Reese this same question a while ago. According to her, the work is considered published, because Fictionaut is open to the public. Most editors will consider the piece published. My experience coincides with this.

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Nov 07, 09:06pm

A fair number of journals will accept work that has appeared on Fictionaut. You'll find the names of most( that we know of) at the "Fictionaut Friendly" Group.

• Panama_hat.thumb
    Nonnie Augustine
    Nov 08, 12:36am

Thanks, Jim and David. I'll have a look at the Fictionaut Friendly Group. My trouble is that once I think I've finished writing something, I am impatient about wanting to put it "out there."

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Nov 08, 01:13am

The argument about whether something is "published" once it appears on Fictionaut is one that's been going on at least since the three years I've been here. I don't think it can be resolved in the abstract, but only in the policies of the magazines you submit to. As Matt points out, it's up to you to find out which those are, and if you have particular magazines in mind, it certainly behooves you to check out their policies before you post something on Fictionaut. Nevertheless, there are plenty of alternatives , and some very good ones, which don't give a damn whether a piece has appeared here or not, and I like supporting their more open stance by contributing to them.

• Panama_hat.thumb
    Nonnie Augustine
    Nov 08, 02:06pm

David, I've been the poetry editor of The Linnet's Wings since 2007. We have never had a "previously unpublished" requirement. Maybe I should add our name to the Fictionaut Friendly group, eh? Thanks. Nonnie

• White.thumb
    Henry Standing Bear
    Nov 08, 03:34pm

I can't speak for the others publications, of course, but the online lit journal I just started, Revolution John, not only doesn't mind if it's been up here...we actively search for stories here. Spread the word.

• Panama_hat.thumb
    Nonnie Augustine
    Nov 08, 07:21pm

That's great to hear, Sheldon. I love the name of your new lit mag. Cheers!

• You must log in to reply to this thread.