Forum / Kill your darlings. No, wait, don't!

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Oct 24, 01:25pm

"...I will never give up a beautiful fragment, just because it doesn't fit into the story."

Michel Houellebecq

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Oct 24, 02:12pm

Too late, David. The postmodern freeway's littered with aesthetic displacements, excised rhetoric, belles lettres and other roadkill.

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Oct 24, 02:21pm

Just to clarify. Houellebecq means, I think, that he would leave a " beautiful fragment," in a work even it didn't particularly serve the story. Beauty trumps coherence in his view, which is exactly opposed to the notion of "kill your darlings."

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Oct 24, 02:32pm

Yes, I got that, but I personally trump coherence at every opportunity, it seems. Which is okay, since I don't punch in at anyone's word factory, so I'm allowed to seem inexact.

"Nobody says I gotta make sense."
    Godfrey Wittgenstein (Ludwig's half brother and part time pommelier {sic})

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Oct 24, 02:50pm

But, yes, the editing process seems to have hijacked the beauty of prose. I personally blame Gordon Lish, not that he'd really care.

• White.thumb
    Henry Standing Bear
    Oct 24, 03:44pm

A lot of this is confusing to my simple mind. But if something fits, or works well, in a story. Try your best not to give a shit and leave it in. For what it's worth. If you don't want to, that's fine as frog hair, too. Big ups to writers with balls. Those writers are the best. Plain and simple.

• Pic3.thumb
    Javed Hayat
    Oct 24, 05:30pm

Ditto to what Sheldon said. Write without fear. I wonder how many of the golden rules of writing MCcarthy follows...

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Oct 24, 05:44pm

Every good writer should seek to have courage, a thick skin, proper footwork, a consistently practiced 3 & 5 punch combination, and a friend in publishing.

Other than that, he or she should write, write, write, write...

Anyway, back to work.

• 62698557287.thumb
    Matthew Robinson
    Oct 24, 08:11pm

Write, write, write...

STAB STAB STAB STAB STAB STAB STAB STAB

Write, write, write...

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Oct 24, 08:35pm

Blood for ink, yah?

• 62698557287.thumb
    Matthew Robinson
    Oct 24, 09:12pm

Always, James.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.