Forum / My Bothered Eye:

• Nv_kid.thumb
    Ramon Collins
    Mar 07, 01:45am

My first online writing class was, perhaps, the best of 14 ventures. One notable lecture Dr. Carlos gave was, "How do we get rid of that word, that?" His premise: 90% of thats are unnecessary. I think he's right.

But now a new word rears its ugly head, especially on TV -- "got", i.e. "We have got to do something about . . .". Politicians, professors and presidents promote its use. What's wrong with plain ol', "We have to do something about . . ."?

What unnecessary words bother your eye?

• 0001_pabst_blue_ribbon_time.thumb
    Dolemite
    Mar 08, 02:40am

The TRAVESTY of the use of "impact" as an intransitive verb/replacement for "affect."

"How will this impact the economy, Senator Ding-Dong?"

Started up in the late 80s, I believe.

Makes me puke/cringe every time I hear it.

Gnome sane?

;-)

Dolemite
    Mar 08, 02:44am

That and

"alot"

;-)

• Facebook.thumb
    John Riley
    Mar 08, 11:40am

I used to be a chronic "that" abuser. I think it came from an effort to be precise. I working to remove "got" too. I think "literally" is at the top of many people's hit parade these days. Random for infrequently is something the kids do that makes me cringe.

Dolemite
    Mar 09, 06:03pm

Magazines that claim to be biannual (once every two years) when they mean semiannual (twice a year).

The rather obvious redundancy of "rights revert back to author."

• Nv_kid.thumb
    Ramon Collins
    Mar 10, 01:30am

John R.: And aren't you tired of people saying "with that being said"? Of course it was said -- they just said it.

Sir Crisp: Right on, bro.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.