Forum / Solzhenitsyn Jukebox

• Image.bedroom.009.expose.thumb
    Ann Bogle
    Aug 23, 08:08pm

This is the only time I have ever commented on a fave score that is too low on one of my stories. The original version of this story achieved 11 faves and 547 views. I edited it ever so slightly, yet those slight changes improve the story. SJ after a week back on Fictionaut and 94 views now lands near the bottom of my story list on my profile page, and that position will not encourage further readers. The original version set now as private would land higher on the list, yet it is the slightly revised version I want to make available at the website.

Here's the link:

http://fictionaut.com/stories/ann-bogle/solzhenitsyn-jukebox

Do I run it again? No, that would be a third time and why? Do I paste in the slightly revised version at the original story page? That also doesn't seem quite right to do.

I do not want to give up on this story, so I wrote this note about it.

• Darryl_falling_water.thumb
    Darryl Price
    Aug 25, 08:14pm

Ann, you are an amazing writer, with tons of original talent. I say, whatever it takes. I know, as every other writer on this site knows, that the blog world just isn't fair. If you write a masterpiece today, and we're all lucky enough to notice it and say so,tomorrow we'll be asking you where's the next one. It never ends, it's never going to end. So as gummy as it is you've got to be your own best advocate to the world.This gets a lot of people into trouble--because it's a thin line between ego out of control and ego in check. It's a question of balance.But as a writer you write for consumption. You want readers. You deserve readers.They will be rewarded, challenged, healed, fed, irritated, whatever. In any case, they get something for free out of the experience of the writer giving blood.I'm just saying; I wish it wasn't so hard to get good work noticed, but,please,don't ever give up trying,and if a few spoil sports call you names for trying, use that to create something new.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.