Forum / A Beatnik Boot Camp?

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    May 31, 12:30pm

Reading about the recent movie, "On the Road," a rather ambitious attempt to produce a film version of Kerouac's novel, I came across this item in a Wiki article:

"Before filming began on August 2, 2010, in Montreal, Canada, with a $25 million budget the entire cast underwent a three-week "beatnik boot camp..."

When I read that, I suffered an attack of wonder. My mind went off on tangents and may not return for weeks.

Like... yeah. Picture the drill instructors in berets and boat neck tees:

"Okay, maggots, lay back and riff me some stanzas, now... Groove! Groove! Groove!"

I love Hollywood.

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    May 31, 05:38pm

As opposed to a Clint Eastwood type Marine DI with a flat hat, saying, "Okay, ladies, get down and gimme fifty pushups quick! Come on. Move! Move! Move!"

Hmm. Maybe it wasn't that funny.

Guess you had to be there!

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    May 31, 05:38pm

Never mind.

• 0001_pabst_blue_ribbon_time.thumb
    Dolemite
    May 31, 05:54pm

(everyone's busy checking out that link I posted to Paul McCartney's upcoming funeral...)

• Fbphoto1.thumb
    Doug Bond
    May 31, 06:42pm

Beatnik Boot Camp is a great title for a story that should go up here....today, hmmmm?

alt. titles: berets and boat neck tees

Bongos, Beads, Bra-less Breasts and Little Chin Beards

What is it with Beatnik culture and the letter "B"

• Nv_kid.thumb
    Ramon Collins
    May 31, 08:12pm

JLD: ’Twas funny.

Indeed, Mr. Bond -- and Dago red, a joint and Dylan Thomas’s “Under Milkwood” on a 78.

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    May 31, 11:39pm

Overheard during a reading of Under Milkwood at a local little theater event in Texas:

"Whatever do they mean by 'cucumber and hooves?' Is that some kind of Welsh delicacy?"

I swear that I heard that. I really heard someone say that. Really.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.