Forum / It was fifty years ago today

• 0001_pabst_blue_ribbon_time.thumb
    Dolemite
    Mar 20, 05:12pm

...Bob Dylan could barely play.

He's been going in and out of style

But he's guaranteed (sometimes) to raise a smile.

(and so on and)

http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/19/showbiz/music/bob-dylan-album-50-rs/index.html?hpt=hp_bn7

• Darryl_falling_water.thumb
    Darryl Price
    Mar 20, 05:51pm

I think Bob wrote the world's most beautiful love song,"To Make You Feel My Love." Adele's covered it as have dozens of others. But that doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of his remarkable creative output, including novels and an autobiography, which won the big prize.He's also a painter. Look at Amnesty International's CHIMES OF FREEDOM-THE SONGS OF BOB DYLAN. tHAT TOOK 4 CDS and didn't even begin to scratch the surface.I've seen him in concert about 7 times. Here's my favorite story. The bill was Elvis Costello and Bob Dylan, together. The stadium was huge.Sold out. Elvis came out--just him an amp and a guitar. I thought how is he ever gonna pull this off? But an hour later he had them all calling out for just one more song please,pretty please--no one wanted him to leave the stage, but finally he did to a loud thunderous applause.Cool! I thought wow how is Bobby ever going to get them back to his side now after that amazing performance? No worries! As soon as Dylan hit the stage a palpable roar like a rocket being fired at very close range blasted up through the roofs of the place. You could physically feel the love for this guy from every corner of the room--and that level of energy of just being with him, in the same room with him--never got any lesser throughout the entire set.Most people stayed on their feet. If anything it just continued to build beyond anything I'd ever felt before. He blew the roof off the joint with ease. And needless to say no one wanted him to ever leave them again--I can't remember how many encores he had to do before it stopped raining applause, but the audience wanted more and kept clapping and shouting for it even when the lights came up and the canned exit music came on.Remarkable in every way.If that doesn't make a real boy out of you then I don't know what ever could.

By way of a dp postscript John Lennon also wrote one of the world's greatest love songs, "Oh My Love,"which in my opinion is the most honest expression of the moment you realize you are in love ever penned or ever sung.Next time you're hating on Yoko, just remember she brought this out in him. Just saying.

Dolemite
    Mar 20, 06:17pm

Hey, I *like* Yoko!

• Untitled_design_-_2024-02-08t014618.097.thumb
    Misti Rainwater-Lites
    Mar 20, 06:45pm

I LOVE Yoko. Anyone who hates on Yoko is a fucktard. She inspired all of John's greatest love songs and she gave him Sean. She kicked him out for a year and forced him to get his shit together. No Yoko, No "Double Fantasy."

Misti Rainwater-Lites
    Mar 20, 06:51pm

Oh! Regarding Bob Dylan...I'd heard of the guy but never HEARD him until a poet friend of mine told me to buy "Blood on the Tracks" to help me through a break-up. This was in January 2000. I drove 45 miles to the nearest Hastings and bought the cd. I was hooked right away. "Blood on the Tracks" remains one of my top ten favorite albums of all time. I don't have all of Bob's records, just a few, but I adore the few I have. I enjoyed Tarantula for a while but I never psychotically loved it. I love that documentary where he gives the guy from the magazine hell. He was a bastard to Joan Baez but I probably would have been a bastard to Joan Baez, too.

Dolemite
    Mar 20, 06:54pm

"but I probably would have been a bastard to Joan Baez, too."

Ha!

My God, all that ethereal warbling...

But, always loved this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpD5_c2j1OM

Misti Rainwater-Lites
    Mar 20, 07:01pm

LOL. Is it "Diamonds and Rust"? I will click on it and find out. But that is the only song of hers I know and love. My boyfriend serenaded me with the Judas Priest version once, a capella. Now that was truly a transcendental moment.

Misti Rainwater-Lites
    Mar 20, 07:02pm

YES! It IS "Diamonds and Rust!"
    Love it!!!!

Dolemite
    Mar 21, 05:48am

In fairness to Ms. Baez, you should check out the documentary about her I linked in the "interesting documentaries" thread.

She WAS the queen of the scene, and is in part responsible for the launch of Bob's career (though of course there was no stopping him).

She was (and remains) a very brave and vital person.

Misti Rainwater-Lites
    Mar 21, 05:53am

will definitely check it out
    don't know much about ms. baez

• Darryl_falling_water.thumb
    Darryl Price
    Mar 22, 08:39pm

And of course George H. wrote 'Something' which none other than Frank Sinatra called the perfect love song. I still stick with my first two choices above with a most respectful nod of the head and bow of the hat to George just because I love the guy so dearly. AS for Joan, she's damned the torpedoes several times already in her career, but Bobby was 10 times faster than lightspeed. She kept track of the blaze as long as she could.And who could?

Misti Rainwater-Lites
    Mar 23, 04:34am

I love "Something" but it is far from the perfect love song. "I don't know, I don't know." Such ambivalence! I respect George's honesty, but still. Will have to go to YouTube and see if I can find "To Make You Feel My Love." And "Oh My Love."

My top five favorite love songs thus far:

"You're A Big Girl Now" (Bob)
    "Crimson and Clover" Tommy James and the Shondells
    "I'm Gonna Crawl" Led Zeppelin
    "I've Been Loving You Too Long (To Stop Now)"
    (OTIS REDDING)
    "Aneurysm" Nirvana

Misti Rainwater-Lites
    Mar 23, 04:35am

p.s. I also love "The Crystal Ship" by the Doors

"deliver me from reasons why you'd rather cry...I'd rather fly"

(sigh)

• You must log in to reply to this thread.