Forum / Flash Fiction Lovers:

• Nv_kid.thumb
    Ramon Collins
    Jan 19, 09:59pm

If you have NetFlix, leave me recommend a remarkable Argentinian film:

"INTIMATE STORIES ( Historias Minimas/Minimal Stories) 2002 - 87 minutes

A charming and affecting tale charting the fortunes of three small town heroes pursuing their dreams, Carlos Sorin's "Historias Minimas" offers further evidence of the current riches to be found in Argentine cinema. Awarded a special jury prize at the San Sebastian International Film Festival, it's a deceptively simple yet delightful road movie concerned with three disparate characters heading for the Argentine city of San Julian."

A slow start proves to be deliberate effort on the director's part. There's hope for tomorrow's films!

Collins

• 0001_pabst_blue_ribbon_time.thumb
    Dolemite
    Jan 20, 02:24am

there are tons and tons and lots of many GREAT foreign films on netflix.

(though I don't get the flash fiction connection--is it a series of very short vignettes?)

Dolemite
    Jan 20, 04:31am

Here are some recent favorites of mine (foreign except for a couple):

The Saddest Music in the World
    Terribly Happy
    Tuvalu
    The Violin
    Santa Sangre
    Following
    As it is in Heaven
    Sin Nombre
    Bad Day to Go Fishing
    The Law 1960
    Fear and Trembling
    Buffalo '66
    Trees lounge
    Hour of the Wolf
    In the Realms of the Unreal
    The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus
    An Awfully Big Adventure
    Tom & Viv
    The Machinist
    Faces

Dolemite
    Jan 20, 04:33am

The Law (*made* in 1960, not part of title)

• Nv_kid.thumb
    Ramon Collins
    Jan 21, 12:16am

Thanks for the titles, Matt. I've discovered some of the titles and am anxious to look up the rest.

INTIMATE STORIES is a remarkable film that sneaks up on you. It's three interwoven vignettes, each story complete in itself, yet related to the other stories. I've never seen a film like it. The three stories reminded me of Micro & Flash fiction composition, with each having a beginning, middle and end. Then, at the end, it dawned on me the film has these components, too. I would really like your impression of it -- and other FNers.

We pipe NetFlix thru our TV screen and find it slightly wonderful. So wunnerful, we seldom watch cable and network slop in the evening anymore. Eight bucks a month; what's that -- a popcorn and two cokes at the noisy, multi-cinema?

I'm off to NetFlix with your suggestions . . .

Dolemite
    Jan 21, 12:44am

Everything in my list is netflix instant streaming, so you're good to go.

(also, as you've probably seen, I started a Favorite Movies thread and Bill & David have already posted quite a few more.)

((I'll probably watch yours later tonight/manana))

• Nv_kid.thumb
    Ramon Collins
    Jan 21, 01:22am

All systems are glow, Matt. I have SADDEST MUSIC queued up for tonight and HAPPY on deck. Ah-h-h -- fire in the fireplace and a glass of Port. Life is good!

Footnote: We lived in Mexico for four years. Gringos were always pist-off because they thought "manana" meant tomorrow. After three days of waiting, the Mexicans would tell them it means "not today".

Dolemite
    Jan 21, 04:03am

"it means "not today"."

Ha! (I did not know that...)

Watching those two back-to-back might give you emotional whiplash.

I've really been into Mexican/Spanish movies lately. THe Violin, Santa Sangre, Sin Nombre and Bad Day to Go Fishing (terrible title/good film) are some recent examples.

Speaking of: what is the name of the Mexican movie about a beautiful young woman who is forced into prostitution by her grandmother, tries to poison the grandmother by feeding her a rat-poison cake... came out in mid-to-late 80s, slight tinge of magical realism. She is constantly saying, "Si, abuela," in response to her grandmother's demands...

?

• Nv_kid.thumb
    Ramon Collins
    Jan 21, 10:12pm

I dunno that film but will try to find it (sucker for an original plot).

Watched SADDEST MUSIC last eve and would like to give it another go before commenting. There's a difference between looking and seeing. I even read stories four times before commenting (old-fashioned guy).

Here's a Mexican film that really reflected our 4-year stay because we tried to live with the people. The landscape, towns and people were so accurate, we bought the tape (and it'll really interest your prurient):

Y Tu Mama Tambien

I checked NetFlix and it's available for streaming. I seldom read viewers' reviews, but out of curiosity, I read these and they are intelligent comments.

Dolemite
    Jan 22, 02:31am

I happened to start Y Tu Mama Tambien a couple of nights ago but wasn't grabbed right off. But it IS supposed to be very good, so I'll probably give it another go.

• Nv_kid.thumb
    Ramon Collins
    Jan 23, 09:43pm

Matt:

This a reply from a writer-friend in Mexico, Suzette Aguado:

"I have no idea what the name of this film is, although I am reminded of two: "Santa" and "El Callejón de los Milagros", both of which deal with prostitution, but neither of which have a grandmother in it!

Have seen "Y Tu Mamá, También" at least three times!"

Re: SADDEST MUSIC

My background is in art. When I go to museum I have a basic understanding of the elements and principles of abstract art, but my true love is the French Impressionists. I'm afraid you're much more of an esoteric film-buff than I (that's meant as compliment); while you watch Wild Strawberries, I'm watching Lonesome Dove.

The same phenomenon crops up when I read short stories; it seems writers go in two directions -- some are reporters who just tell the reader what happened, others spend time inventing colorful metaphors. Both approaches are valid.

Hemingway tells us, "When a story takes on a life of its own, the writer should get the hell out of the way." I felt that in Saddest Music the director kept forcing his way into the plot and interrupted the film's "flow". He couldn't stand back in the shadows of the story.

As with writing, just tell me what happened when you weren't there. Does that make sense?

(we're probably boring the wee out of Forum members)

Dolemite
    Jan 23, 11:18pm

Saddest Music IS very stylized!

I think The Violin, and, Sin Nombre might be more to your liking, for the Spanish lang. movie. Traditional, straight-forward narratives.

Sante Sangre, though Spanish/South American(?) is also VERY STYLIZED, so probably not your taza de té, either.

• Nv_kid.thumb
    Ramon Collins
    Jan 24, 01:26am

I loved Sin Nombre and watched it twice. It's a good idea to keep your brain open in the creative world; I'll look up Sante Sangre. Thanks.

Dolemite
    Jan 24, 06:13am

Sante Sangre is *very* odd, now...

• Fictionaut.thumb
    Meg Pokrass
    Jan 27, 07:59pm

thanks Ray!

• Nv_kid.thumb
    Ramon Collins
    Jan 27, 11:34pm

Yer right, Matt -- I really dug The Violin. Great storyline, setting and acting. I think Mother Nature gave us individual preferences and taste to keep us from marrying the same person.

Haven't had the nerve to try Sangre yet. Horror isn't my bag and the promo blurb sounds like the film might be "fraught with symbolism". Maybe tonight.

You're welcome, Meggly.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.