Forum / A strange dilemma!

• Fictionaut.thumb
    W.F. Lantry
    Jun 28, 05:53pm

Hey, folks,

First, the good news! My short story, Chincoteague, originally workshopped here on Fictionaut (and thanks to all those who commented) went up today at Sea Stories:

http://seastories.org/category/overfalls/

Hurrah! But here's the odd thing. The editor who accepted it (and who I secretly love!) wanted it, not for her fiction section, but for her non-fiction section.

Now, I know, every word is true, I always say I don't make stuff up, I've even said here "we only call it fiction because the language fails us." But I think of myself primarily as a writer of fiction, and creative non-fiction has never occurred to me.

I guess it's a good problem to have, but it still feels odd... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

• S._tepper--nov--lighter.thumb
    Susan Tepper
    Jun 28, 08:05pm

How beautiful, I love that story, Bill, remember it vividly from its title. Congrats again to you, you are on a roll!!!

• Img_0654-2.thumb
    MaryAnne Kolton
    Jun 28, 08:55pm

Bill, You have made this so real to her that she believes it to be non-fiction? That's a good thing I think. Just grand that she liked it enough to publish it!

• Img_0568.thumb
    Gill Hoffs
    Jun 29, 08:27am

It's great news and a huge compliment to you as MAK said. I remember you had the chat on fictionaut with Susan Tepper and discussed how you write only the truth there - it made a big impression on me. Personally I love creative non-fiction as I think the added constraint of factual veracity squeezes out a real nectar of words. Perhaps this will open up even more markets for your work - as if you aren't present on enough sites already!! All the best and congratulations on - another - publication.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.