Alphabetical stories

We are the rising

13681368 views33 comments00 favs

I’m sick of you headless muffuckas searching for a facelift.

We Are Waiting For The Wolves

10541054 views66 comments33 favs

You say we will go together to the park and dig a shallow grave and atone for everything we ever did by breathing soil deep into our lungs, and the wolves will leave.

We call them the Removal Men

11311131 views33 comments33 favs

They came early and parked up, under cover of the night and the giant oak. I only know this because people told me afterwards. Watching us, they were. It was six o'clock before they smashed their way in, scaring the three of us out of our wits. Baby Billy screamed the place…

We Cannot Cross the River

11151115 views66 comments22 favs

We cannot cross the river until it freezes. Bekker predicts January. For food we gather leaves, berries and roots from the thick forest behind the cabin. Suarez boils what we find into a revolting paste that we spoon into our mouths with dirty fingers.

We do not make the most of situations

11801180 views33 comments00 favs

We do not say the phrases that would smooth things over.

We Don't Need a Guitar Man

12911291 views55 comments22 favs

The courtroom smelled a lot like mold and it was hot as you could imagine. I sweated through my shirt and wondered if he wasn’t dying under his robe. He looked down at me from his bench and I just knew he was going to call me a commie and sentence me to l

We Don't Need No Education

15691569 views2727 comments1919 favs

“There’s an ill energy that emanates from your precise heart that I find attractive”

we engendered song

779779 views22 comments11 fav

Ever the chance we were given, with luck always, fate. At least we engendered the song and the drink. Having sailed from the goddess of sensual love, having the best throw that beauty allowed, now you can call it will, though some will call it hate.

We Get All Kinds Here

25852585 views88 comments44 favs

A toothy grin greets me at my Public Storage counter. He visits every week. Peering through the wire first, he opens his cage door, gaze lingering. Finally he departs. Nothing ever placed or removed. Emptiness, that looming…

We Have Eskimo Bars

17571757 views1717 comments77 favs

Real men don’t screw around in Canada, he confided to the strawberry blonde sitting beside him at the Houston bar. He’d bought her a couple of beers, and her body language said she was interested.

We Invented Stillness Just to Keep Ourselves from Following the Fall of Everything

13871387 views2929 comments1515 favs

Even solid seeming concrete creeps/ in time to form the faint smile of deflection./ A marble rolls along the catenary grin.

We Loved We Laughed We Cried

11171117 views55 comments44 favs

My wife broke the news to me. She enjoyed it, too, I'm certain of that. It was a juicy piece of gossip.

We measure all this distance in Longing

395395 views44 comments11 fav

“I’ve decided to make some money by filming some of it, making a film and titling it The Nascar 500. It’s a great money maker and here's the gimmick: instead of the usual porn soundtrack it would be the sounds of stock cars racing around the track.

We Must Be Carefully Taut

17241724 views2121 comments1515 favs

In the dread / of night, navigate by the sliver moon

We Must Love One Another or Die: A Brief History

20562056 views55 comments44 favs

Novelist E.M. Forster said of Auden "Because he once wrote 'We must love one another or die' he can command me to follow him."

We Must Save Ourselves

979979 views22 comments22 favs

We Must Save Ourselves I'm looking for my savior on subways, Is he this man pushing half himself On a skate board, from car to car, Singing I have no Legs, I have no Legs, I'm looking for my savior in coffee shops Of…

We Need to Breathe

21782178 views3232 comments1414 favs

She turned and looked at me as if she had just discovered me. A weak smile looped around the edges of her mouth but she didn't mean it. It was as if her brain had relayed a signal to her mouth to smile but the mouth didn't really want to, not really.

WE NEVER

11581158 views00 comments00 favs

No news spreads faster than news of a death. Word of the death of a child can be heard simultaneously in a thousand places. . . the word spread by telephone, in back yards from clothesline to clothesline, with whispers in grocery stores, in the looks on faces stunned into…

We Never Left

949949 views66 comments66 favs

Above our bellies we are beautiful women with luscious breasts. Where there is skin, believe me, it is flawless, irresistible. Most of us have long hair, but there are some among us who keep their heads close cropped for aerodynamic…

We of the Paper-doll Brigade Are Not Hiding Our True Selves Anymore, A FaceBook Flash

10011001 views1010 comments33 favs

I am confused by your new paper-doll look, btw. Could you please look regular again by Thursday?

We Poor Splendid to Look On

266266 views55 comments33 favs

Leave us to hide our sundials in our caves— / discard our scrolls that guide no more, / to time our nights to learn if we can grieve / —we’ve too much noise or less than we can hear . . .

We Put a Smile Back on Your Face

17371737 views77 comments66 favs

Her voice mail announced: “I’m coming for three days...Make sure the dog hair’s cleaned up, I have allergies.”

We Shall Not Go Unheard

333333 views33 comments22 favs

I am human, I am no piece of meat.I am (womb)an.I stand on my own two feet.I move my own arms and legs.I do not scramble eggsnor do I wait for the telephone to ringfrom possibly potential datesdesperate for my affections,none of them remotely worthy.Independent am I. …

We shall wait and see

893893 views44 comments44 favs

Then there is Ethelbert's husband whom Ethelbert hasn't met yet, and who has literally weighed in, as if fed up and tired of waiting for a long, in full length, needless, wake up story. That is when Ethelbert asks, "Amy who?" related to a different group

We Should All Have One Great Love

10031003 views66 comments55 favs

My dumb body that does not speak still cried out your name last night. Did you hear it, maybe in your sleep?

We Should Be Hordes Around Their Castles

950950 views1313 comments77 favs

We have been well and truly fucked with ideological batons

WE SHOULDN'T HAVE BOUGHT THE FIREWORKS

760760 views22 comments22 favs

My chin is half-eaten. My chest is gone. There is a rhythm to how each flame licks me. Like how you used to in the mornings before work. Before the coffee. Before the toaster. Before a rose clenched between your teeth and dancing.

We Talk in a Roundabout Way

15501550 views1313 comments66 favs

You are a boy with a birthday bike smiling like our son, standing in a photograph surrounded by other sons, who turn rocks over and over, who keep snakes in plastic bread bags, who find the bones of something wild in the woods. You smile that way still.

We The Kings

715715 views22 comments00 favs

when the jewels weren't on his head; they were in his eyes.

We the Wild Men

820820 views00 comments22 favs

There's a whole pack of us, men minted from hot brass and thumbtacks. Too tough for sensibility's sake.