Alphabetical stories

Vienna

12461246 views22 comments22 favs

I remember thinking the seasons are arriving later every year, as if the world has been slowed by the weight of graves.

Viet Thanh Nguyen: Nothing is Resolved

195195 views22 comments22 favs

"I write out of a deep need within myself for beauty. A beauty that I think can only be found through the practice, through the sacrifice over time that's required."

Vigil

17451745 views4040 comments2222 favs

You have arrived at the river, numb with the murmur of the city and the sleeplessness of anger, boredom, and too many people loving too many people too much. The heat in this night, not the moon as in ancient poems, is blazing; the moon is pink like the…

Village Life Brochure

827827 views77 comments77 favs

I live in a small fishing village where small people fish and others gossip or invent bizarre methods by which to irritate each other. During our weekly power cuts I go outside and cross the street, sitting on the pharmacy steps to watch myself not be at home in the…

Village of Humans

900900 views00 comments00 favs

It must have been then and in those days and during that time when the grass and short brush, like so much amber and jade, emerged from the snow and the poet Li Po, who while traveling within the ten thousand crags of the Tanggula Mountains, looked up…

Villon, Stop Following Me Around!

742742 views66 comments55 favs

Villon, get the hell outta here!

Vincent

11431143 views22 comments11 fav

They were really big, a lot larger and taller and stronger than he was. Sometimes they were holding him, all of him, high up in the air. Sometimes they would have him crawl in front of them. Often they put him into some form of holding cell.

Vintage Orlando

571571 views55 comments22 favs

"Benny can't come over anymore." I was 12. Latchkey kid, but we didn't call it that. Mom working in another town. Dad working in another town. My brother. 2. My responsibility. "Why? Why not?"

Violent Limb Part 1

730730 views22 comments11 fav

Before the new arm, I used to sit outside the players' facility and wonder, in between the throbs of pain pulsing sickly through my temples, how much longer I could be a hockey player.

Violent Limb Part 2

748748 views11 comment11 fav

"Take the other arm, Jonas! Take the other arm," I said, laughing. "Make me a better god!"

Violet Hour

944944 views55 comments22 favs

“My name is Violet,” I add. I am trying to stop lying. Going without cigarettes has been easier.

Virgin

10141014 views77 comments66 favs

Steven was a hollow tree of a man — outwardly normal for a tired fortysomething, but empty inside. He lived alone in an old farmhouse that reeked of decomposition and Lysol, the previous tenant having left a dozen skinned raccoon carcasses in the attic.

Virginia Aste

826826 views00 comments00 favs

This is like getting a hand full of black slugs as a gift.

Virginity

21122112 views77 comments22 favs

I was seeking punishment so I put my lips around a bright green persimmon and bit down, the bitterness of its flesh overcame me...

Virginity

13191319 views1212 comments44 favs

It rises rigid and plumb from its heavy base, the severity of line yielding to grace only at the throat where it crests into a subtly constrictive pinch.

Virgo

966966 views1313 comments66 favs

I said he was cold. I said I like cold.

Vision and Conviction in San Lorenzo

963963 views00 comments00 favs

"They don't know how this formed or how it got to where it is today. What we do know is that it's not going to last forever." Said Edward McCabe to his daughter who hadn't learned to talk but communicated with her father through her agreement or disagreem

visionary

875875 views1212 comments1010 favs

let it lie

Visions

812812 views11 comment00 favs

colors dancing on metric vectors

Visions of Granada (Double Sestina)

10631063 views00 comments00 favs

Double SestinaOn the surrender of the Alhambra to the Christian Spaniards, while on the losing side of territorial disputes, by the speaker, the Moorish king Boabdil: and the subsequent exile of the Moors, who brought geometry, astronomy, architectural…

Visions On The Beach

10611061 views1212 comments55 favs

I walked along the beach today, and there I saw them all; including the latest lost: little Tiven, Tommy, Michaela & my Paul. Grandma painted at her easel, set upon the dune. Uncle Eddie bent in half, laughing like a loon, Oliver growled…

Visitation

10861086 views44 comments00 favs

My mother looked up and began to laugh, it was a nervous tittering, but there was delight in her eyes at the crazy spectacle of our small black puppy eluding, probably taunting all these armed police.

Visitation

792792 views55 comments44 favs

We sat up in bed. It's ‪two o'clock‬ in the morning. Blinding circular flashlight beams probe through the half pulled shades. Magnified black silhouettes of men's torsos lumber back and forth in the yard. We are in a fishbowl and being invaded.

Visitation

917917 views77 comments77 favs

we can say all we couldn’t say when the ears could hear us

Visitation

256256 views44 comments33 favs

Nothing but the motion

Visitation Hour

13541354 views55 comments11 fav

She watches too much VH1 for a five-year-old.

Visitations

772772 views1212 comments22 favs

The squirrels love the sun

Visiting Mom's Family in Oklahoma

887887 views33 comments22 favs

The strangers say hi at the Piggly Wiggly grocery stores, compliment my gold necklace, tell me I'm as beautiful as a Southern Belle, ask where I got my Gucci shoes. “Wow, New…

Visiting Sally

13361336 views1818 comments1717 favs

Buddy was in a garage band. They were pretty good. “Soul Harbor“ they called themselves.

Visiting You Without Her

11411141 views1515 comments1414 favs

I bear the wrong gin. Your air conditioner runs cold. It is either frigid or off, the gauge broken. You are not too old to overlook these things. You can't be choosy, but you will never beg. Just an occasional choice as you settle into this…