Alphabetical stories

Petey Prickles Vs. Funeral Steve: An ALL-NEW Petey Prickles Caper!

10201020 views00 comments00 favs

Ivy Oppel was one hard cousin to cry for. And a hard woman, too, but Ooops! Kapow! There's a hole in her head. Not hard enough, then. I'm harder, thought Dumasha. A girl with a gun can have some fun in this world.

Pets

880880 views00 comments00 favs

But in the dust bunny there was an equally relentless and sneaky foe. A brilliant General that silently marshaled its troops under tables and chairs, in obscure, shadowy corners, and along the unsuspecting flat surface of things.

Petty Injuries

21562156 views2222 comments1111 favs

Fault and blame can be forgotten after three steep flights of stairs. Pregnant-lady-take-the-elevator kind of steep. I-said-elevator, holy-shit-she’s-falling kind of steep. A-faked-relief-when-the-child-is-born, but-born-special kind of steep.

Petunias

19091909 views2828 comments99 favs

People huddle in their basements like kittens. People laugh, darkly, saying they'd rather be surfing. People wonder if their batteries are charged. People never do get what they want. People grow tired of the sad dog following them around. People want you to know how…

Pewter Badge

14261426 views1010 comments55 favs

I never killed a cop before.

Peyote Buttons

930930 views11 comment11 fav

In the sides of mountains the rivers rush through and who would stop them as they gain a hold on the world? For silences they keep just then, as if from a larger wisdom and different clock. Pink moons and funny coins with the heads of lions and lambs, and the quarter…

Phantasmagoria

13351335 views33 comments11 fav

I sit in my chemise like a forgotten rag doll on the stool before my vanity. My body is postured towards nothing in particular, my gaze keeps returning to vacant; it’s far preferable to any fixed sight it could find.

Phantom

11651165 views11 comment11 fav

I am in the hallway, but I don’t sense it. That is to say: I don’t feel my body. I am like a phantom, a limbless entity floating, flailing.

Phantom

801801 views22 comments00 favs

There is an obstacle, as if truth has a place of its own. This is the phantom where my roommate turns off her headlights Upstate, while we’re singing: No more, No more, stay as you are.

Phantom Energy

12551255 views1515 comments99 favs

She called it phantom energy. She said it was costing us money every month. A few cents here and there, sure, but it all added up.

Phantom head syndrome

11431143 views33 comments22 favs

The Bird King suffers from phantom head syndrome. Ever since his decapitation by a critic, he has felt pain where his head used to be. Sometimes it wakes him in the night. It's so excruciating, he fumbles for a saw. But alas! there's nothing to chop off.He's seen every…

Phantom Sister

14801480 views1313 comments1515 favs

We wonder if this is how we tangled in our mother's womb: hands to feet to heart.

Pharaoh

12651265 views1111 comments66 favs

Altodog was dressed in filthy chef’s trousers and a long-sleeved purple dress shirt, somewhat dignified by a tattered black vest.

Pharaoh ... Pharaoh

697697 views00 comments00 favs

I woke up on my back with my face in the sunlight and thought, I guess this must be heaven, it was so bright out. Except for the buzzing of the insects. They will always bring you back to earth.

Pharaoh's Revenge

827827 views22 comments11 fav

The first intimation that something was afoul was when his computer crashed.

Pharmaceutical Funnies

620620 views00 comments00 favs

Dracula enters the pharmacy looking sad but hopeful. The pharmacist pulls a sonnet out of his thumb and hands it to him. This is a novel by Bugs Bunny. Each page is a…

Pheasant Hunt

14421442 views22 comments22 favs

“I can’t remember if it goes in or out,” was the reply.

Phenomenology

976976 views1818 comments99 favs

The universe is churn-

Phenomenology

10961096 views1111 comments1010 favs

Someone will labor to keep it alive/ although the body will want but/ to return to random particles

Phenomenology as Snapshots

16001600 views2828 comments2222 favs

The fluffed-up clouds, darkish in spots,/ are moving fast, opposite the wind/ where I stand and look. Equations// could describe the multiplicities

Phenomenology- Short Stack

10711071 views2121 comments1010 favs

The fly comes in against my will/ and hers. She would prefer/ the wider world with its piles of shit

Phil's Last Stand

12781278 views11 comment22 favs

Phil was scared. Not of his own shadow, but of the three men from ConAgra who'd dropped a duffel bag of green outside his den the week before.

PHILANDERING

19821982 views55 comments22 favs

He had been the innocent stooge for a young girl's selfish dreams. He vowed to be more careful. He would rather be lonely, if need be, than compromise himself with girls like that.

philanthropy from a cardboard box + a detour to Han-shan

927927 views55 comments55 favs

philanthropy corrugated with a smirk / printed aside every cardboard box and room / every cardboard house with every cardboard door.

Philip and Gene

920920 views88 comments33 favs

Our lives are lived backward in memory...

Philip Guston and the Ultimate Mudball

909909 views55 comments55 favs

The huge mudball has rolled downhill, catching up one of them. Part of a leg sticking up from the surface with its shoe still on, but we can assume the rest of the human, or humanity if you will, is lost somewhere deep inside it.

Philip Guston Painting of the Courtroom

11401140 views66 comments55 favs

While the head of the KKK stands by for the next order, ready to mete out punishment, and smoking a cigar. They are so efficient, like ex-Nazis.

Philip Guston, Painting, Smoking, Eating

907907 views33 comments22 favs

As far as I can tell, all he eats is wedges of cake from the plate on top of his blanket as he lies there in bed, smoking cigarettes and staring up at the painting of a pile of shoes. Or else this is a real pile of shoes building up beside the

Philosophic Fashions of Penultimate Times

10941094 views55 comments44 favs

What are our reigning philosophies today, what dominant schools inform and lead our intellectual efforts, inspire our blissful reveries, inflame our breathless humanity?

Phlegmatic

16631663 views33 comments33 favs

Eddie Dorsett was a dumb kid. Nobody could dispute it. More than that, Eddie Dorsett was a fat, slothful, whining, shilly-shallying, phlegmatic zero of a kid, the lowest of the third-graders for certain and a prime contender for the lowest of the entire R