Alphabetical stories

Propped Up

10391039 views22 comments00 favs

Christmas Muzak was piped through to every store in the shopping mall. Giant red velvet bows adorned reproduction Victorian gaslights. Yards of glittered cotton pretended to be snow. A Santa rang a brass bell.

Proprietary

974974 views88 comments66 favs

One by one the hundred matte black drones hummed awake. The buzz was loud on the tiny airfield but died out soon among the waving amber heads of Kansas wheat that surrounded the unsigned base.

Pros and Cons of Wildflower Collection

933933 views00 comments00 favs

If it was truly new territory of the mind, he thought he might find some place that resembled the world as his dad envisioned it, having already decided that his father could never turn back across the frontier to the old world of youth

Prosaic Miscellany

899899 views88 comments88 favs

Some days, you want all the red states to secede

Prospectus

10281028 views1111 comments66 favs

The question isn't whether we will survive-/ like rats, we are supremely adaptive-// but whether we should survive.

Protagonist Unbound

14031403 views00 comments00 favs

Protag noted that Gertrud’s brow was knotted with stress and rage, as if she’d been drinking too much coffee and reading the latest translation of Simone de Beauvoir.

Protect

12191219 views33 comments11 fav

The fabric on the waiting room chairs is stained and matted, but has been cleaned over and over.

Protection

11151115 views77 comments44 favs

You're a good dog, she whispered to him, a good brave dog. Her face was tight with soap.

Protein Transfer

13701370 views11 comment11 fav

Ham If you have never cooked a ham steak, you need not be afraid. The ham is often cut so thin that to over or undercook it is nearly impossible. The exterior reflects the centre better than any other meat; you will know when to stop.

Proud Mary

856856 views11 comment00 favs

Mary had no shoes. She told me they were stolen by someone at the shelter and I believed her because she stood there outside the Arlington T stop in a pair of tube socks. She told me she wasn't asking for money. She told me the shelter was serving seafood today so her…

Proud Military Wife

12871287 views00 comments00 favs

Back when they were younger, David was always gushing about every little thing in his head, and his openness appealed to her as much as his muscular frame did. But after that year they spent apart, he was always ... smiling. Smiling and vague.

Proust's Moustache

20932093 views1010 comments66 favs

My brother and I had often debated whether we could get our father to shave his moustache off, just to see if his sophistication remained intact without it.

Proverbs of the Converted

982982 views99 comments77 favs

a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single ticket

Provided

10441044 views88 comments44 favs

A man bows his head and crosses his chest before crossing the street and the rain keeps falling on his bare blue shirt and on top of his head The taxis will not stop The light’s still red as the man waits for the sign of the hands

Provincetown: Where America and its Drama Begin

674674 views44 comments11 fav

Eugene O'Neill is remembered as a troubled, brooding artist, but he had grown up in the theatre and was a hustler for the business of himself as well.

Prowl Car

788788 views88 comments66 favs

Mischief / has marked the bone marauders for doom.

Prurient

11701170 views11 comment11 fav

I like him. I really, really like him in a way that I don’t like guys, not anymore, not after all the dirty lies into get in my pants, the dirtier lies to get out of them later, the indignities and the humiliations and the disappointments.

Psychics or Ouija Boards - Who Ya Gonna Call?

982982 views22 comments22 favs

Madame B would come once a week and tell me things that I needed to know in exchange for some free items. She would come and grasp my hand while telling me the same thing week after week. Madame B always told me to relax and things would eventually come.

Psycho Logic Deregulation

967967 views66 comments33 favs

" . . . the government works for the aliens now, taking over the world. That's why everything's so screwed up."

Psychological Profile for "Joe"

10891089 views22 comments11 fav

He boasts of administering regular beatings to his wife and claims that she enjoyed it.

Pterodactyls

11781178 views1111 comments88 favs

In his head he thinks oh whatever when I wake this time I shall have a very fine discussion with Someone special, oh but finding meaning in anything nowadays that's Just too much rich flattery, isn't it, filthy mirror? Inside His head's…

PTSD

913913 views66 comments33 favs

the queue for hell

PTSD

11821182 views22 comments22 favs

My therapist told me I have post traumatic stress disorder My uncle had that He fought in the war I guess I fought in my own kind Not between countries Between children and father Between husband and wife Between addiction and sobriety When my father got…

Pubicly Humiliated

35723572 views66 comments22 favs

I was a late bloomer in the pubic department. I used to stare at myself, practically counting the little blonde hairs that never grew and refused to darken.

public apology (or, why most people hate monks)

14241424 views77 comments22 favs

I want separate twilight a room with no candles, plates, phones or music a glass ceiling to smash when my head's full I want tiny hand-

Public Transport

210210 views55 comments33 favs

Suicide was on his bucket list. Redeeming a lost soul was on hers. If not for the train drivers' strike they might have met.

Publishing Today

24752475 views3737 comments2121 favs

A cartoon of my personal insight to publishing as I know it.

Puddles

10711071 views88 comments66 favs

The first inkling that I might be in love with Josie came at our high school senior day outing at, oh, what's its name, state park. I forgot, but it doesn't matter. She smiled, did a little wave and stepped away from her friends, lifted her sundress a little to keep it dry,…

Puerility

11321132 views55 comments44 favs

--So, why are you here?

Puff

15751575 views00 comments00 favs

As I fed Puff, I thought about the nightmare Lily shared with me that morning. She dreamed Puff had a hole in his throat and all his blood squirted out until he got as small and skinny as a deflated baloon.