Alphabetical stories

our notorious youth

974974 views22 comments11 fav

Be aware the dog is king, radiant, emitting many beams, renewed by and restored by his fullness, his satiety. In many ways underlying all our hearts and minds, out of our notorious youth, ever the flower of our flesh on fire like a little reed next to the dried…

Our Own

10941094 views88 comments66 favs

The world is upon us. The only thing that matters Now is if you are willing to be seen by them. Many moths Will be hidden by simply gathering on the bark Of the one tree, but this will not sustain you if you Do not also have the courage…

Our Previous Lives - song

10051005 views66 comments33 favs

When I arrived in heaven Calling out your name Running just on vapor Leaving my old flames I thought I saw you singing Dripping from all sides Crying like a rainbow Reliving our old lives

our ragged wits, ragged minds

903903 views22 comments00 favs

Our ragged wits, ragged minds, after acting out all, imitating all honey-like tunes, air song, excellence of song, true flower of the world. So the sun has some of its honey wintered away, to bring it into contact with such a human voice as yours.

Our Sister's Boyfriend

11271127 views77 comments33 favs

-for Franz, the least understood comedian of all We all knew that Marissa's college boyfriend was ugly — there was the way she answered our mother's pestering "Is he cute?" with a stalling "Um, well..." and then there was the fact that she hadn't posted any photos…

Our Story in Ten Photographs

14361436 views2727 comments1818 favs

1. The ghost that photographs my wife and me has a peculiar sense of lighting. In this one, we are sitting at the kitchen table of our old apartment. The table is made of glass. There is nothing on the table except our elbows. She has lowered her head between her…

Our Terror Closet

13621362 views22 comments22 favs

"Honey," I called out to my wife. "Why do we have Spam in the closet?" "You mean unsolicited bulk messages sent electronically?" "No--the canned, precooked meat product made by the Hormel Corporation."

Our Time as Men

11901190 views44 comments44 favs

Rhonda looks guilty as it is, don’t you think? That hair! And the unhappiness smeared across her face like war paint after a war.

Our Top Hats Blow Off While Yours Gets Tipped

797797 views55 comments66 favs

Our world is a prism floating through its own rainbow smeared shadows in a desperate attempt to get caught. Our lives are in the carpets, the planks, the winds. Whatever has heard us, has not believed in us enough to rescue us from our own …

Our Travels on Fire

988988 views66 comments55 favs

We were offered mannequins that had pubic hair that grew and swirled, and could visit like a pet, and sit in your lap

Our Valentine's Day Special (From The Law Offices of Paul Steven Stone)

880880 views55 comments22 favs

This year, instead of giving roses or candy for Valentine's Day, why not give something your spouse will never forget. A brand new divorce!

ouroboros

11351135 views55 comments55 favs

if it were a child/ it would be in first grade this year

Ouroboros

940940 views11 comment11 fav

It matters little who thought of it first, what mattered was the schism. Or, to be more accurate, those on the opposite sides of the schism. And, of course, you are a part of this, dear reader. You are of one side or the other.

OUT

11871187 views33 comments22 favs

All I wanted was to love her.

Out in the Street

811811 views44 comments11 fav

As kids, we grew up in a city that we swore was suburbia. Nearly every street had a few houses with a kid or two that was missing their front teeth. There were kids we knew well and kids we'd wish we'd known but they lived a few…

Out of Character

11301130 views88 comments77 favs

Co-workers have started calling him Jesus, Manson, Foghat, Doobie Brother, hippie, hipster, Grizzly Adams, Dude Lebowski... there’s really no end to it.

Out of His League

891891 views22 comments00 favs

He strikes out with this one...

Out of Stardust

12531253 views66 comments55 favs

Nor woke, as always, to a dark room smelling of the lavender she kept in little bottles to perfume the otherwise stank air. Outside, she could still see the edge of the moon hanging there like a lopsided smile. The early summer wind blew in and stirred the faded floral…

Out of sync

857857 views1010 comments11 fav

I've been floating dearadriftI could not see you clearlythrough the tattered, hazy scrim the boundary between usmight as well have been a canyonyou reached for me anda vice tightenedaround my headI wanted to merge with youmy heart wished for abrilliant explosion of limb…

Out of That Bed 1963

14041404 views22 comments33 favs

My father's hands were huge. His left knuckles gashed as a kid when he rode his bike too close to a moving train. When his fingers fisted around a glass, the scarred joints bulged from his grip like blind eyes.

Out of the frying pan...

771771 views99 comments77 favs

the pressure from my lungs threatened to burst my eardrums.

Out of the Loop

14681468 views1717 comments1616 favs

Ed wants to watch the last half of the football game. His wife wants him to mow the lawn.

Out of the Question

997997 views00 comments00 favs

"Then why? Why?" she choked. "Why are you so... so mean to me?"

Out of the Woods

912912 views33 comments33 favs

No, your clever costume won’t protect you.

Out of Time

890890 views88 comments55 favs

I was so high on the not knowing, I thought, you will love me for my confusion. And so I allowed myself to reach further inward than either of us felt comfortable. I imagined a delicious vanilla pudding at the core of my exploration, sweet and satisfying enough for me to…

Out of Uniform

11191119 views44 comments55 favs

Between the wars, I hung around in an air-conditioned room. It was tiny, and I was shoved to the back, but after living outside on another man's back for months of bullets and bombs, I welcomed the stuffiness. White paint kept close walls from reminding me of the trenches'…

Out of Vegas

897897 views44 comments33 favs

Whatever it is, the night vibe feeds off that disadvantage, nibbles at the desperation of those who come here.

OUT ON THE EDGE OF VICTORIAN CIVILIZATION

10621062 views00 comments00 favs

Lottie was a slim, fine looking woman. But Dale thought her breast implants were the worst case of overkill he had ever seen.

Out the Window

994994 views1212 comments88 favs

she lifted and threw her legs out the open side front window of the speeding auto

Out Walked Bud: The Manic Life and Obscure Death of Bud Powell

725725 views22 comments11 fav

From the opening bars that conjure up the sounds of European auto horns, "Parisian Thoroughfare" is as light as French pastry, as free and airy as a skirt blown by the wind.