Alphabetical stories

Lay on Me

16751675 views3535 comments2626 favs

On Friday nights I'm not there.

Layers

12171217 views00 comments00 favs

"... Sometimes I think I'm so close to knowing what it's all about, to knowing myself, and then sometimes everything seems so hopeless, as if I haven't learned a thing."

Layers on a Cold Night

12231223 views88 comments22 favs

Later that night, he lay his shivering children in his own bed, the bed that betrayed and abandoned him just a few years ago. It will protect them now.

Layover

775775 views00 comments00 favs

The concourse had become his second home, he knew it that well. His fellow passengers were the houseguests he couldn't get rid of, the workers at the restaurants and gift shops a personal…

Layover Memories

952952 views1919 comments2020 favs

It was a pleasant time, my thoughts were mostly good ones, with little effort wasted on regret.

Lazarus argentatus

858858 views33 comments00 favs

They take the blue man out on a stretcher, stiff in cyanotic repose until the paramedics shake him. He sits bolt upright, startled, confused, indignant. ‘Lazarus?' I ask. ‘Argyria. Happens every fucking time he naps on the …

Lazarusfish

456456 views44 comments22 favs

Scuttling on his knees now, he crossed to the other side of the boat and dropped the fish into a bucket of water. He knew what he had to do next.

Lazy River Blues, or Stuck Between a Couple of Exposed Roots and an Endlessly Restless Shore

879879 views44 comments44 favs

Our Sun bites down on the eager yet pouting lips of the softly puffy looking moon, but a jealous & runny cloud interferes with this story line just long enough for a little bit of fun: a young dancing tree washes her gold and…

le Chat

858858 views22 comments11 fav

There was a time when I washed my dishes with a stray cat who spoke French. I won't go into all the details of what led the bilingual feline into my kitchen, or how he came to take the plunge into an abyss of soap and grease, cheese-encrusted plates, and…

le flâneur passed by worlds

616616 views22 comments22 favs

I’m wearied with these tired Potemkin façades / these elaborate gates for alleys all blind / worn out with walking into dead ends each time.

le Misérable

14021402 views88 comments55 favs

I read the last line and close the book with a smack. “That ends that section,” I tell him. “Coming up is the chapter titled ‘The Ancient History of the Sewers of Paris.'

Le Petit Clown - August 9, 2002

806806 views00 comments00 favs

Bald on top and wavy curls projecting from both sides. He looked at me and his eyes rolled round and round in opposite directions. He asked, "What did you think of the play, clown hater?"

Le Sucre Brun

21362136 views6363 comments2727 favs

The commandant pried her lids open with steely thumbs.

Leader of Men

22602260 views5353 comments2626 favs

"Look," he said. "Look at the knife. See how I hold it?"

Leaking

991991 views1313 comments88 favs

The bathroom faucet is leaking again. Do they make diapers for faucets?

Leaky Guts

887887 views77 comments55 favs

One day, Dasha confessed to Igor that she had an incurable illness: Purple emptiness.

Leaky Pipes

10451045 views22 comments00 favs

I was thinking everything was OK, until one day I woke up and realized that I was living on an entirely different planet, and you seemed like a complete stranger to me. I was feeling so ashamed of these feelings, that I couldn't even tell you about them. I couldn't…

Leap

992992 views00 comments11 fav

I was driving by with a dampened eye

Leaping Through Flames

747747 views00 comments00 favs

I should have never gotten involved in such a huge lie. I was a poet, for God's sake, not a novelist. I wasn't used to lying.

Learning About Sonnets

11381138 views00 comments00 favs

Sitting in the upper last row of Wyatt Hall, Matt stretched his long legs under the fold-up desk top. He looked down past his fellow students' heads to barely catch something Dr. Mock had said. . . .

Learning to Live With Radical Presbyterians

923923 views44 comments11 fav

Proponents of this pragmatic line of thinking say a tolerant approach to Islam will succeed where force has failed to persuade terrorists to abandon the religious fanaticism. It's certainly worth a try--it worked with Presbyterians.

Learning to Love Your Permanent Stillness

15971597 views11 comment22 favs

["GET UP, GET GET, GET DOWN ... 9-11'S A JOKE IN *your* TOWN!"]

learning to unread

725725 views00 comments00 favs

what happens to literature's characters when their readers traverse the veil?

Leash and Let Leash

8989 views1010 comments11 fav

"I see you have a woman on a leash," said the man next to Bobby on the Greyhound to Chicago."Yes, you may speak to her, if you like, she may even answer you."The man glanced at Bobby to gauge his seriousness, took him at his word,"Excuse me, miss? Why are you riding the bus…

Leather

13001300 views66 comments44 favs

When I was 17, they said in an e-mail that you would get too drunk to function and that you would abuse them, verbally, and do way more than embarrass them in public. They said you'd yell at them and hit their mom for any reason. They put a restraining order on you.…

Leather and Something Like Infidelity

10751075 views00 comments00 favs

Part of me feels like a wounded animal surrounded by hungry cougars. Another part of me feels like being mauled by a cougar might not be that bad. A third part of me wishes he could punch the second part of me in the face.

Leave It To Cleavage

729729 views00 comments00 favs

Thus was Rent-a- Rat, Inc born. At first it was Rent-a-Rugrat, but we changed it so the Army wouldn’t be onto us. Our first headquarters was out of a damned tent on Red Square, but we would get the hell out of there as soon as we could muster the necessar

Leave Off Doves

14021402 views99 comments33 favs

Midway through the fall semester, an unremarkable girl in Professor Woody's Advanced Fiction workshop dyed her hair an unnatural shade of dark, changed her name to Tasmina, and turned in a story filled with made-up words.

leave the dog, take the cannoli

876876 views1818 comments88 favs

he who laughs last is probably a dumbass fuck

LEAVES

874874 views00 comments00 favs

...black birds fall from trees...