Alphabetical stories

Heavenly Blue Morning Glory

12381238 views55 comments11 fav

‘Oh, and try these. ' She handed me a plastic baggy full of seeds that resembled watermelon seeds, only smaller. ‘If these don't work your problem runs deeper...'

Heavenly Grandmother

149149 views1111 comments77 favs

I always hated God for the Holocaust,

Heavy Weather

853853 views22 comments11 fav

The blue of the sky pierced her heart. She patted her lips with her tongue and turned to him. “We have to talk.”

Heavyweight

894894 views22 comments22 favs

That afternoon, after I'd swallowed that weight. Felt like a sinker, one of those weights that fishermen attach to their line to make sure the line goes down far enough. Go down far enough there, and I'll find it. That's what I was on about, that I had…

Hector's Record Collection

11041104 views33 comments33 favs

Zappa, Santana, Hendrix.

Heels.

13621362 views44 comments00 favs

Why am I attracted to this girl? She’s beautiful. Only five foot four, but still looks skyscraper tall thanks to those skinny greyhound legs of hers. She told me she used to dance, then giggled and said she hadn’t since she was five years old.

Heinrich Cornelius Agrippa is Trying to Say Something to His Mother

11631163 views44 comments33 favs

The songs that she used to sing to him still dance in his head while he wrangles equations. The stars in the cosmos spell out her name.

Heirloom

442442 views22 comments22 favs

“Have the tomatoes come in yet?”“Dottie…”Mrs. Dorothea Tilden pointed a trembling finger at Harriet.“You promised me tomatoes, Harry.”Harriet put her hands on her hips, a stance Dorothea knew well. One more sharp word meant fight; two…

Heirloom Pendant of an Ash-Tracked Snow

11381138 views55 comments44 favs

If I do not hear you leaving by the door... The nearness here of this yet questions when I know you will not come so back again, Nowise the same as you were there before. My own reflection, centred at its core On knowing each …

Hela Hey Aloha

852852 views44 comments44 favs

“Everyone you see is half asleep. And you're on your own, you're in the street.” -John Lennon What we can muster now is a few choice words of humor, but unfortunately that won't show them anything that they haven't seen…

Helen O., Grand Central, 1959

14881488 views1919 comments1111 favs

No snippet to see, here. The piece is so short a snippet would be the whole thing.

Helen of the Poetry World

825825 views11 comment00 favs

That night we went out to shoot some pool at the pool hall over on Durant Avenue, which was above a bar called Kip’s. Rotten Bobby walked in with his own damn pool cue, which came broken down in two pieces. He carried it in a narrow felt-lined carrying

Helen Says (from FATHER MUST)

10201020 views11 comment11 fav

Masking. Helen says not to think of it as covering or disguising or concealing. Helen says to understand it is not to take it as something put up front and over like a mask. Helen says it’s not like that...

Helene

11091109 views1212 comments1010 favs

My little friend is no bigger than a minute. An even five feet tall, if that.

Hell and back...

984984 views22 comments11 fav

Sarge had done this before. Not with this many rookies and not on a one-way trip. This was a suicide mission. The boys didn't know it, but he did. They weren't coming back. Hell, they couldn't come back

Hell We Were American

688688 views1414 comments1212 favs

We danced the pee dance after too much Seven Up and tasted odd Jello dishes.

Hellgate

11551155 views55 comments33 favs

Either it was rescue--if the customer was alive to be found--or recovery, the term for bringing out the dead.

Hello and Thank You!

11221122 views00 comments00 favs

She didn’t think of herself as an undesirable, no, she didn’t, but did find herself cowering in face of the presumed judgment of those around her. They had more money, more clout, more everything.

Hello Cheryl

10761076 views00 comments00 favs

“Hello, Cheryl” the voice on the other end of the phone replied. It was strong but raspy, yet quiet and controlled. The fellow sounded like he had a frog in his throat. “How do you know my name?” she asked. “I know a lot of things about y

Hello, My Name Is James, And I Am An Asshole

16061606 views33 comments00 favs

By my calculations, all hell is uncoiling. At the moment, this fact is not really obvious to anyone, but I'm confident that will change soon enough.

Hello? It’s Me!

869869 views22 comments22 favs

But I surely did recognize Rayburn Moon; Rayburn and I dated for about five minutes back then

Helmet

10331033 views11 comment11 fav

The tiles begin inching toward him as soon as he moves. You've seen filings on glass. He's the magnet on the underside.

Help From The Sunrise

11201120 views88 comments55 favs

Ellen arrived on the beach when it was still too dark to see the ground; the fine shells and small, sharp rocks hurt her feet, but she went ahead until her toes felt the edge…

Help Me Own You

19791979 views3434 comments2323 favs

I wrote a fucking poem about you And you’ll like it

Help Me Rhonda

12081208 views2121 comments1414 favs

Walking to class, Paula routinely fishes around in her purse to be sure the condom she thinks of as a close friend, even naming it Rhonda, is in there to help her avoid a pregnancy yet, even so, Paula admits that sometimes she daydreams in that boring economics class,…

Help Us Locate Ourselves

824824 views00 comments00 favs

dove from the trenches, double-check

Helpless

10091009 views66 comments44 favs

She stiffens and blusters and roars Not like a storm, Not like a lion. Like a badger, caught in the steel jaws of a trap.

Hemera Rises

10911091 views33 comments22 favs

The woods. They say don’t wander too far into the woods, where those ghosts can’t hear you and the moonlight won’t trace you a path. In the black crowd of trees there’s something waiting. Don’t go to the where the siren is singing...

Hemingway for Gloria

15491549 views1616 comments88 favs

He disliked intrusion and very specifically innocuous intrusion, nice guys, one might say, who tried to be near him to learn something from him or who admired him but who, as in that passage, came merely to disturb his work.

Hemingway On Trash Day

13081308 views22 comments00 favs

The morning sun rose up over the flat prairie, and the powdery snow crunched as you walked on it, and the air was so crisp it hurt as you took a breath. That is good, I thought. That is how you knew you were alive, and I was truly very alive, and there was not much to do so…