Alphabetical stories

Dead Dog Rising

16231623 views2121 comments1515 favs

The dog is there, on sorry legs, with sorry claws. He looks toward the man, the bat, and says, You know me, Man. I know you know me.

Dead End

11681168 views66 comments44 favs

She'd still rest her fingers on your back, and her smile still lit the lantern of your soul.

Dead End

11171117 views33 comments22 favs

I unwrap my #4, the greasy smell wafting over my nostrils, and I pause, with the understanding that this will be the highlight of my day, and that I should savor the moment, and then I bite in.

Dead Girl Rolling

879879 views1818 comments99 favs

They left me on a gurney for hours...

Dead Kennedys

253253 views1313 comments55 favs

Death is both alien and intimate to us; neither wholly strange nor purely one's own.

Dead Man Sleeping

14631463 views44 comments11 fav

Joyce Addleberg hated sleeping alone, so when her husband died in his sleep one night, it was only natural that she kept him around.

Dead Parental Units

18201820 views2929 comments2323 favs

Each death a sonnet, every grief / fourteen lines.

Dead to Rights

949949 views22 comments00 favs

He draped the sheet over her body. Blood spotted the fabric, rose petals on snow.He left the pistol, but pocketed the first edition she'd signed. Part of his fee.In the park, he ditched the glasses, fake mustache, and anorak before making the call.The publisher called an…

Dead Tom, at the Side of the Road

542542 views44 comments00 favs

The dead turkey’s wife, or lover Watching over his recent roadkilled carcass Seeming to be mourning her loss

Dead Uncle

996996 views33 comments22 favs

When Roy had seen the first of the movies in his dorm's weekend double feature that night (the University of Maine at Orono — as Stephen king once quipped, “that crossword-puzzle favorite”) …

Dead Woman's Shoes

12551255 views1010 comments11 fav

Loving you, I always knew, was a job I’d only get via a dead woman’s shoes. There you were, the recipient of pot roasts, fresh bread, at a loss amongst neighbourhood widows and divorcees. A tide of them rolled over you in calico blouses, cut off jeans

Deadheading

995995 views44 comments11 fav

The cicadas hissed and chirruped until the air was thick with a noise like mechanical bedsprings bouncing for the 4th of July.

Deadheading

11091109 views11 comment00 favs

No matter how much he composes and prepares, he cannot override the electrical trigger in his brain. Something to do with the resonance of physical memory. It remembers amplitudes of current.

Deadly Decoy

10121012 views00 comments00 favs

‘A whole damn plane is missing and the only damn clue we have is a 9mm bullet,’ Picasso said to Victor Bravo whom he calls Torv. He’s his partner at the Picasso Investigation Agency. They questioned the guard assigned on the night of the plane

Deadly duel: Blow v. Teach

995995 views77 comments33 favs

At last, we learn if Blow has the cojones to fight.

Deaf

878878 views00 comments00 favs

box

Deal Me Out

947947 views22 comments00 favs

Vegas is turning out to be my kind of town. Easy money, free booze, and everyone is too overstimulated to realize I’m broadcasting right into their noggins.

Dealing With a Small Box Epidemic All On Our Own

12501250 views88 comments88 favs

Sometimes you've just got to dance to Be heard. You have got to sing out loud To be understood. Other times No matter what you splash 'n' paint on 'em The beauty goes on shamelessly Not arousing any type of newfound Curiosity. We're…

Dealing with Sudden Melancholy

17371737 views99 comments1111 favs

Someone who I know only via Facebook and a writer site we both belong to posted a picture of a 12 week old fetus in the palm of a human hand. The message was anti-abortion. You know--how can you consider killing this baby? And the picture was of a tiny, tiny…

dealt.

750750 views22 comments11 fav

Stealing time. Always gambling. I used to wake up with wet eyes; remnants of nights and days spent in places I never wanted to leave. I took to insomnia to escape the dreams that reminded me of places I could never return to.Now I sleep here. When I can.

Deanna Croce.

8888 views33 comments33 favs

["And you can tear a building down ... but you can't replace ... the MEMORIES ... "]

Dear A. Lien

914914 views22 comments00 favs

Time is a form of sandwich. Each component of the sandwich is nestled between night and day, which enclose it like slices of bread. There are minutes, hours, and seconds. Seconds are tiny, like sesame seeds. Minutes are a little larger. Think of them as p

Dear A. Lien (Letter Two)

10671067 views55 comments22 favs

You’ve got Wikipedia. Look them up: vagina and penis. What Wikipedia will not tell you, however, is the thousands of years of human anguish, and rapture, wrapped up in those two organs.

Dear Andreas,

26542654 views44 comments44 favs

Dear Andreas,My mom is asking me to come home.They found you amongst the ferries, down the street from the pile of unearthed bedrock I lived on as a child. It took two months before you showed up again. You left everyone scared, running to the bridges, but there was no one.…

Dear Caddy

10331033 views55 comments44 favs

I would advise the younger you to change your underpants, and not to let those boys do the talking for you.

Dear Carl

20142014 views33 comments00 favs

keep your fiberwigs in check

Dear Credit Card Thief

523523 views44 comments22 favs

Dear Credit Card Thief, I think of you—hunched, green cast, a zombie of the ephemeral, greedily parsing code, stealth hands like a lover's over my plastic doppelgänger, wafer of identity, your key to the internet of things, to me. Did you have a pleasant…

Dear Earth, On the Occasion of Your 40th Earth Day Birthday

940940 views22 comments11 fav

Everyone is tromping around in work boots like an army of happy gardeners. The park is smiling from all this attention, from the sound of kids who think work is play. It's not even sunny but we don't mind. I know you don't. Grey days are just as good. They've…

Dear England, Please Send Me A Redheaded Boy

13551355 views44 comments11 fav

Dear England, Please send me a redheaded boy, fire-red, please. We have one girl aflame but the others are stone yellow or dark as the sea. The flames are so easy to spot from afar.

Dear Envelope Said the Stamp

14581458 views1212 comments77 favs

I have no more use for the beautiful words you used to like so much for me tosend you alone. See my feathers donot so much hide me now as giveme away; I tend to feel farfrom home. Forgive me this. Theend jumped by me quicker than anorange flower cricket on its…