Alphabetical stories

About Poems

10511051 views1313 comments66 favs

They often leave me dulled/ and wanting back my time.

About That Leg

931931 views22 comments22 favs

I could have said no. I should have said no. Prudence, however, was not in the air. Fourteen minutes later I am at the door of his condo a few blocks from Pier 39. Twenty minutes later I have wriggled into his extra wetsuit and am following him on his wif

About The Author

862862 views55 comments55 favs

Gnarly Berger was born in a guitar case in Istanbul. His mother was an Iranian singer from Israel accompanied by a Turkish santur player & a French guitarist (Gnarly's biological father) and into whose guitar case Gnarly entered this world, somewhat by accident,…

About Those High Tension Wires In Our Backyard

12591259 views44 comments55 favs

In all the years we lived here we never had any issues from the power towers behind our house, other than them being slightly unsightly. I didn't even notice them when we would socialize out back, especially when drinking. When it rains you can sometimes

Above Love

880880 views22 comments11 fav

Love is easy. Lazy. Fickle.

Above the River's Edge

10631063 views22 comments00 favs

On the plains there are no cliffs, no vast mountain ranges to persuade us that we were somewhere above the world. Yearning to escape the pull of the Earth was the big dream of a plains boy…

abra

711711 views00 comments11 fav

Cars like sardines / Fell asleep keggling

Abra Cadaver

967967 views1616 comments1313 favs

The body is an endless safari filled with rhino sightings and encounters with antelope.

Abraham

11111111 views11 comment11 fav

I came late to sunrise. The hills were lit / with goats.

Abre La Puerta

5858 views77 comments33 favs

My daughter, now four, can count to 15 in Spanish. How old are you? Cuatro. How old will you be on your birthday? Cinco. She likes Dora and thinks Diego is weird.

ABSALOM

11031103 views33 comments00 favs

He was still on the ground...

Absence

11501150 views00 comments00 favs

Her mouth was sour; her forehead was still damp with perspiration. She leaned against the bathroom wall and noted her complexion had gone pale. She wanted to slide down the wall and rest until she felt steadier, but…

Absence

12291229 views1515 comments1212 favs

You anchor the real You make love to the true I am bound to you in consecration

Absinthe

10901090 views33 comments33 favs

In a dazzle of emerald softness, it flew out into the breeze wanting for the red apple in the tree just outside my window. The power had gone out, spare change to total meltdown, and the air inside was stifling, thick with mind-numbing languor and mosquitoes. So I…

Absinthe Drinking in a Bar in Paris

10631063 views22 comments00 favs

Half past six; already, through the gloom Saltwater flourish sifts from wharfs that ply Their play like girls that haunt the midnight's womb, As far it seems as walks of Barbary. Within the bar, French waitresses and sots Play dice with time awhile and rub…

Absolution

740740 views33 comments33 favs

Father, trouble me memory;laconic, idle, some glint on the dark. Recall us to me: what did we have, or what did we lose? Like some late affection, open me again, laugh it out of us. It is not loss I'm looking toput back together, papered over…

Abstraction Is the Background of Reality

847847 views55 comments55 favs

Written in big letters Across the back window Of an old Pontiac:

Abstractions

700700 views00 comments00 favs

Sleeping at home gives an inkling's idea,of absent last abstractions. Muses surf unknown unknowns, through keyways of sidewalk approaches.And manifold techniques frame afoul light's fated But ultimate demise.When once of…

Abu Arif & His Daughters

11491149 views00 comments11 fav

I cannot remember what the celebration was for, but the baby was at its center. We passed him around, a sweet smiling boy about seven months old. The age when babies can sit but can't yet crawl and their thighs get plump.

Abundance

776776 views33 comments22 favs

A young woman in shorts removes her sunglasses, putting them on top of her head in order to study the little girl sitting on her father’s lap on the bus. “I want to get me one of those,” she says, with her dark eyes smiling.

Abundance

13811381 views1111 comments44 favs

A young woman in shorts removes her sunglasses, putting them on top of her head in order to study a little girl sitting on her father’s lap on the bus. “I want to get me one of those,” she’s says, smiling. Dark eyes, her dark hair wet and hangin

Abuse and Hyperbole

10041004 views00 comments00 favs

I beat that dog with an open hand, clenching him between my thighs.

Abyss

11191119 views1515 comments1111 favs

When Lois finally found him down there, Johnny was wedged between a large rock and the trunk of an old, long since fallen, cottonwood tree. She said as she got to him, she heard his gurgling breath, fighting fiercely to stay alive. When she saw the deep, gathering, red…

Academic Papers & The People Who Write Them

15951595 views66 comments66 favs

It distresses me that I do not write enough. I know I’ve told you before that I don’t read, and it may be super-ridiculous to tell you now that I don’t write much either, but that is the sad catastrophe I with affection refer to as my life.

Acapella

280280 views33 comments11 fav

What time is it exactly? A time no one should know? A time of unrequited beauty? A time when gods must go to some level of subsidence? A parabola long unseen? Some point bereft of distance? A cosmic mezzanine? A…

Acapella

10091009 views99 comments99 favs

Its odors of quicklime/ and pyre-smoke will curl/ commingled in acrid air.

Acceptance is to her a phenomenon

15751575 views1414 comments77 favs

You were given blame for action as experience by cause and effect now. If you take apart blame and even forgiveness is too rigid. She thinks of that purpose as to give men sexual destiny.

Accepting New Patients

921921 views88 comments88 favs

You've had some truly awful shit pumped into your brains for years at a time now. The practice started a long time ago. It's not always your fault. The only lasting way to get it out of your head is to go and figure out exactly where…

Accident

823823 views00 comments00 favs

Because I was feeling so good, so certain, so ready to move forward, and then all of a sudden, BANG. I was the bad one, the careless menace. Unbelievable. How could my entire position in the universe suddenly shift like that, from one moment to the next? I was here, and…

Accident Assurance

10301030 views44 comments33 favs

They found your athymic neck/clipped like a bag of Skittles/and your lifeblood left a Rorschach test on the dash/in which they saw the future/and their own exits/(straight ahead and to the right).